If you get an error "usb device not recognized" in Windows 8 or Windows 7. This problem happen because Windows could not install the Ipod driver properly. So the solution is to reset the Ipod and put it back on your PC computer's USB slot. Here is how you can fix it:
1. Shut Down your Computer or Laptop.
2. Then plug ipod into the usb. slot
3. Now we need to reset the Ipod (it will not erase anything on your Ipod, don't worry).
To reset move the hold button (on top of the ipod) once to hold then back to original position.
4. Then press and hold the center button and the top menu button at the same time for 6 seconds.
5. Turn on your computer and it should automatically detect and install the ipod automatically.